Saturday 31 December 2011

Family Conversations

Slightly edited version of a conversation I've just had:

"Hi Granny, thanks for the pressies for the Tiny Geekette.  Sorry there was some confusion with the grandparent/great grand-parent 'thank-you' cards, we'll arrange a swap sometime.  Please be assured the relevant minions have been executed." 

"Oh, it doesn't matter.  I did wonder why you spent the Geekette's money on cinema tickets instead of shoes.  But I was planning on sending a package to your father anyway.  I've been collecting all the obituaries of Christopher Hitchens for him." 

"Hmm.  I didn't know he was particularly interested in Hitchens...?  He's always filled out 'C of E' on forms..." 

"Oh, did he never tell you they went to school together?  The Hitchens brothers used to spend the holidays with us occasionally.  Christopher was always the more charming of the two boys.  They used to spend hours playing with your father's train set.  You never saw that train set, did you?" 

"Oh, he told me about the train set.  Didn't bother mentioning Christopher Hitchens played with it..."

No comments:

Post a Comment